Introduction6th INTERNATIONAL BERRY FRUIT CONGRESS
The red or berry fruit sector (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries) is at a turning point that will define the present situation for these crops and, above all, shape the sector’s immediate future and long-term challenges.
This is a key sector for Huelva’s economy and its need for constant momentum, the repercussions of recent negative seasons (issues related to price, profitability, third-party competition, new producer countries, choice of varieties, etc.) and the new socio-economic framework that is being opened up by raspberries, blackberries and blueberries in terms of sales, exports and profitability, has made it necessary to create a forum that constantly analyses and addresses the current situation in the berry fruit sector each year and the most significant opportunities for improvement.
The 1st Berry Fruit Congress was launched by Freshuelva in 2015 within this framework and it specialised in a sector that has transformed traditional strawberry growing and opened it up to new business opportunities thanks to the inclusion of other fruits such as the raspberry, blackberry and blueberry.
The first five events were highly successful in terms of attendee numbers and participation by sector companies, and this encouraged Freshuelva to continue the Berry Fruit Congress and make it an annual event, choosing Huelva as the permanent location for this sector-wide convention.
The 6th Berry Fruit Congress will be held on September 15 and 16, 2021 in the Palacio de Congresos conference centre in Casa Colón in Huelva.
The congress brings together representatives from the red fruit sector, companies that produce and trade these crops and companies that provide services or distribute products that are directly used in this business activity.
A key event
The Berry Fruit Congress is now the most important event for the entire berry fruit sector in the European Union and it has a significant impact at an international level.
Its continued growth over the first two events in terms of business activity and participation numbers made it a key event for businesses that focus their activity on the production, trade and export of berry fruits, and for companies that work with this sector by providing products and services.
The congress has seen particularly strong growth in the number of companies present in the commercial exhibition and stands space, and the sixth congress will have new spaces available so that even more companies are able to participate.
The 6th Berry Fruit Congress is organised by Freshuelva, an association that unites the largest number of berry fruit producers and exporters and the biggest and most active companies within the sector, and it is responsible for designing the congress’s content.
The congress also receives governmental support from Huelva Town Hall, Huelva Provincial Government and the Department for Agriculture, Farming, Fishing and Sustainable Development at the Regional Government of Andalusia. This year Extenda – Andalusia Exportation and Foreign Investment, with its experience in internationalization and business exports, will support the Congress too. Furthermore, Fundación Caja Rural del Sur is the event’s exclusive main sponsor, highlighting the large scale of this convention and its importance for Huelva province, which temporarily becomes the world centre for berry fruits.
The 6th Berry Fruit Congress will have four areas of activity:
- Palacio de Congresos: the conference centre will be home to the official programme of conferences, talks and round tables with content created by Freshuelva.
- Presentations space: will run a parallel programme of talks and sales presentations.
- Exhibition and sales stands zones: areas where companies can display their products and services.
- Business meetings and exchanges area.
The Palacio de Congresos conference centre and Casa Colón in Huelva will host the Berry Fruit Conference for the sixth time in 2020. Both spaces have the infrastructure, technical facilities and necessary capacity to welcome an event that attracts over 1,200 participants.
Right in the heart of Huelva city and with its own car park, the Palacio de Congresos and Casa Colón has a wide range of nearby services, including hotels, cultural spaces, restaurants and leisure zones.
- Palacio de Congresos. The Palacio de Congresos conference centre, located inside Casa Colón, will host the official conference programme. It has an 850-person capacity and the technical resources that are needed to put on an event of this nature.
- Exhibition space. Sala 100, the Patio de las Bolas, and the halls and gardens of Casa Colón that lead to the Conference Centre will be spaces used by companies and exhibitors that specialise in business activities, products and services linked to berry fruit growing.
- Sales presentations. Sala A, a space in the complex located next to the Palacio de Congresos, will host the sales presentations.
- Meetings. The Pabellón de Levante will be used for business meetings and business-to-business exchanges.